Breadsticks





2 ½-3 cups flour

1 T dry yeast

1 c warm water

1 T oil (vegetable, canola, or olive)

1 T sugar

1 teaspoon salt

Mix 2 cups flour and dry yeast in mixer bowl. Add water, oil, sugar and salt. Mix well. Gradually add remaining four until dough cleans the sides of the bowl. If the dough becomes too tough add some more water so that the dough is soft to the touch but not tacky. Knead 3-4 minutes.


You can shape the breadsticks several ways. 1: Roll dough into a rectangle about a 1/2 inch thick. Then using a pizza cutter, cut strips off the rectangle and roll into ropes. 2: Squeeze a chunk of dough off and roll between the palms of your hands. 3: Spread dough into a rectangular pan and with a pizza cutter, cut the breadsticks, but leave as is in the pan.


I usually use the third method because it is the quickest. You can double or triple this recipe. I get one 9x13 out of one batch.


Let dough rise until almost double in size (about an hour) and then bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes, or 400° for 10 minutes to get a darker crust.


After I take the bread sticks out of the oven, I butter the top of breadsticks like toast, using softened butter and a knife or brush. Then sprinkle with a light mist of garlic salt and i like to sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds!
I got this wonderful recipe from Bronwyn Brown- she makes them better than anybody!

1 comments:

Terra said...

I finally figured out how to post a comment! I loved these when you made them for me! I will definitely be making them:)

Post a Comment

 
Our Comfort Foods © 2011